Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Possibly the best movie I've ever seen

Tonight I watched Hotel Rwanda. I know I'm way behind the times, so excuse me if you've already seen it. If you haven't, go to the video store immediately and rent immediately! It is not only one of the best movies I have ever seen, but it is intensely powerful and moving. It is difficult to wrap my head around the idea that it was real and I couldn't help but feel compelled to action. I was of course concerned about these issues before, but the movie shamed me for my privilege to live in a place free of civil war and for our government's continuing inaction in the face of genocide. Sorry to get serious, but I am sitting here watching scenes with commentary by Don Cheadle (who was amazing) and I am overwhelmed with emotion for these people who had to make choices and try to save the ones they loved in the face of impossible circumstances. There are no words to describe the emotions caused by thinking of these issues. We block out the terrible in the world so easily, but we do it to our peril. To the peril of our morality and to the peril of the world.

1 Comments:

At Thu Feb 23, 08:29:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It IS an incredible movie... and I hope it calls more people to action. The sad part is that Rwanda is just one of MANY countries experiencing this type of violence...

How do we open other people's eyes to this?! It is far too easy to sit at home and watch episodes of Lost and American Idol, and pour more of our time and money into the marketing machine... than it is to be aware of what is going in the world around us...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a