Sunday, June 11, 2006

Post I wrote last Thursday.

[So, it turns out that the wireless internet access at my hotel in NYC sucks. I wasn't going to post this from my new desk on my first day of work on Friday. So, here you go, only four days late.]

Hello from the Big Manzana.

This was finals week for me and tomorrow I start my internship here.
On Tuesday, we went on a date and saw The Break Up. It was decently funny overall. The funniest part of the movie was that the first five minutes pretty accurately represented Jen and I's relationship for the two years before we got married. The exceptions? I'm not a self-important jerk and Jen doesn't overeact and shares her feelings before boiling over. Best part of the movie? Hands down Jennifer Anniston's blurry bare ass. Second best part of the movie? The idea that a fat, self-involved jerk can get a girl like Jennifer Anniston (talk fast, make'm laugh).

One of the previews was for Accepted. I have to admit that the propaganda actually made me want to see the movie. The fact that some guys start a college where there is no curriculum and the students are the teachers reminded me of this quote from your pal and mine, Ralph Waldo Emerson:

“If the colleges were better, if they really had it, you would need to get the police at the gates to keep order in the inrushing multitude. See in college how we thwart the natural love of learning by leaving the natural method of teaching what each wishes to learn, and insisting that you shall learn what you have no taste or capacity for. The college, which should be a place of delightful labor, is made odious and unhealthy, and the young men are tempted to frivolous amusements to rally their jaded spirits. I would have the studies elective. Scholarship is to be created not by compulsion, but by awakening a pure interest in knowledge.”

How true.

Last night we celebrated two friends' birthdays and basically the end of finals by being loud and obnoxious at the BYOB sushi restaurant sushi X. We then hit Duffy's for $17 all you can drink until 1 AM.

This morning, I was fine. I scrambled to pack and catch my cab. In the cab, my head decided that it wasn't happy with me and began a post-drinking protest the likes of which I haven't seen. Now I'm here, the place I'll call home for at least one night out of each of the next 11 weeks.

8 Comments:

At Mon Jun 12, 12:39:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww... a date! :)

and to see a movie about breaking up! lol

Congrats on the internship!

 
At Tue Jun 13, 05:49:00 AM PDT, Blogger Andrik said...

Thanks.

It's hard to believe that after 9 short months, someone is actually paying me to tell them things and know what I'm doing.

 
At Tue Jun 13, 09:24:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jamie said...

So I assume now you're back in Chicago? Or Knoxville? Or what?

When you're back in NYC, I'll let you know where the Venezuelan place is. Great food.

 
At Tue Jun 13, 11:40:00 AM PDT, Blogger Andrik said...

Right now, I'm in Hoffman Estates. At some point before the end of the day, I expect to be in Evanston.

We (the work crew) had Korean food for dinner last night. Korean BBQ in Shaumberg, Illinois... it was... interesting.

 
At Tue Jun 13, 08:39:00 PM PDT, Blogger Eric said...

Did Ford not pay you to know what you were doing? That would explain a lot :)

So, I thought you were spending the whole summer in lazland. No?

 
At Tue Jun 13, 10:42:00 PM PDT, Blogger Andrik said...

Well, I was wrong in my previous post. It was past midnight when I got back to E-town. Only seven more hours until I leave for work again.

Beaner, I have no idea what "lazland" means. If you mean Long Island, no.

 
At Wed Jun 14, 08:46:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jamie said...

Who are you calling "Beaner", beaner?

 
At Wed Jun 14, 11:03:00 AM PDT, Blogger Andrik said...

I am deeply offended by your comment. I believe I shall file a complaint with HR.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a