Tuesday, August 16, 2005

My latest syringe encounter

So, like most people I have a skeleton in my closet. That skeleton is that I don't like to floss. Lately I have been doing it, but I don't like it. I find it tideous and unwelcome by my gums (and fingers). Growing up, we didn't have dental insurance, so I rarely went to the dentist. I didn't have insurance at NU and the no-dentist-seeing trend continued into my career at Ford. Finally last year I caved in and went to see one after roughly 8 or 9 years. It turned out that I only had three cavities after that time, and they were between the molars (due to non flossing). Everything else was really well. The dentist warned me that I should not take that to mean that I could wait another 9 years to see her again.

So, I was a little surprised to find out last week that I have another cavity - between the molars again. I had the filling put in today. The right side of my face is still numb. The novicane went all the way up to my eye socket; it feels weird when I close my eyes hard. The thing is, I really like my dentist in Dearborn. She was really nice and the office was full of hot nurses, which will always dull the pain in my mouth and wallet.

This new dentist has all male nurses. They are nice guys, but can't begin to make up for the lack of women under 55 in that office. And one of them called me "Andrika". I usually don't care if you mess up my name, but don't change my gender in the process. Anyway, I'm satisfied with the end result, and am sure that I will tongue my Permanent Maxillary Right First Molar (#3) until the filler smooths out.

Here is what I had to stare at while the novicane took set:













The dentist recommended that I slide the floss between my teeth and, instead of pulling it out from the top the way I inserted it in, to pull the whole length of floss through the side of the teeth. That seems really strange to me. I'll give it a try, but I'm sure it'll give me another reason to dislike the whole process.

4 Comments:

At Tue Aug 16, 10:28:00 PM PDT, Blogger lizski said...

Just be glad you have never had to take flossing lessons from my mom. Her nickname, given by a few loving (loathing?) clients, is the "flossing nazi." That reminds me, she's cleaning my teeth on Friday. Maybe I'll numb the pain by meditating on the overuse of "nazi" as a superlative for cruel...

 
At Wed Aug 17, 02:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger Andrik said...

I have to admit that one of the things that turned me off more than anything about the cleaning was having to hear the sermon from the hygenist (sp?). The last dentist I went to in Dearborn had the best hygenist ever. She understood that I know that I should floss, and she basically said, "you know how, and you know you should, and if you don't, you will have trouble later". Of course, seeing as how I got another cavity, maybe I really did need a good whipping. Well, having to pay for most of the new filling is a good way to do it. The lessons learned best are the ones with the pocket book as the instructor.

 
At Thu Aug 18, 10:50:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jamie said...

I used to hate flossing. Finally my gums got red and puffy and sore, and I had to start. A little background:

It turns out I have large front teeth (if you hadn't noticed) and I am what the dental profession deems a "mouth breather." So my gums have air passing over them all night long. Add no-flossing to the mix and you get a recipe for inflamed gums. Finally I decided to get some floss and try it.

The first few weeks sucked. It hurts, and my gums bled a whole lot. They got really puffy - way more than they were BEFORE I started flossing. And then suddenly they turned pink and healthy, and now I can jab them repeatedly with a sharp object and nothing happens. Supergums, if you will.

Now I LOVE flossing. I'm a total convert. I think it feels really good - I can't go to bed without flossing. Even when I stumble home after a night of drinking, I have to floss my teeth, sometimes with comical results.

 
At Fri Aug 19, 01:20:00 PM PDT, Blogger Andrik said...

I thought the term "mouth breather" was a way to call someone gay. I think I saw it is a teen movie somewhere.
Was I wrong on that one?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a