Monday, August 15, 2005

Where do sins fit in?

So, one of the reasons why I like "Men's Health" is that their philosophy of what a man should do and be like pretty much jives with my own. There are some times when the articles remind me of the stripped shirt man, with advice that may give you the best way to muscle your way to the top or something like that. But, by and large, the contributors perpetuate an idea of a man that I could really relate to and (many times) aspire to be.
Today I read this article off the home page about the "The New Seven Deadly Sins". The begining of the article talks about the "old" sins as actually being part of what a man should be. I don't think I agree with that assertion, but I understand that the author needed a way to introduce his main idea.
The article basically boils down to the notion that it's a sin to avoid being a "true" man and living up to your obligations. In this sense, "Men's Health" is pretty conservative. It boosts the idea that a man's role in the world is bound by certain mandates. It's a man's duty to live up to these.
My least favorite "new" sin: #2 - the idea that a righteous man will show some wrath.
My most favorite "new" sin: #6 - continually making excuses for your mistakes.

3 Comments:

At Mon Aug 15, 06:10:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jamie said...

Interesting.

Now I feel bad, because I think I was a few dollars short the last time we all went out.

 
At Mon Aug 15, 09:26:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't sweat it. I read that sin as saying "Don't be a prick with your money when you're among friends". The number one example that I can think of is one by the name of Laura Ellis-Carlsen, who calculates exactly what she owes, with a 10% tip of course and leaves just that amount. What I have found with friends is that some days I pay more than I consumed, and other days I pay a little less. I consider it the cost of being with friends.

Of course, Laura isn't a man. But, if you consider that a marriage is between a man and a women, the gender roles in that relationship might be debatable... Hee hee. Just thought I'd take a cheap shot ar Eric's expense. Feel free to live up to new sin #4.

 
At Mon Aug 15, 09:57:00 PM PDT, Blogger Eric said...

On the flip side of that, and I know no one here is in this category... Liz has a friend here who insists on paying for dinner every time we go out. It's gotten to the point where she'll corner the waitress and get the bill almost before we're done eating, just cause she knows it pisses me off. Now, I'm not above having someone buy me dinner, but it gets a little old after a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a