Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Catch the next flight.

So, one of the reasons that all of you think that I am great is that I can provide you with things like this upcoming movie review. Last night Jen and I saw Red Eye. Before we get into the nitty gritty of the plot holes and suspension of disbelief, I would like to provide you this little vent.

There was only one preview (plus). That preview was for Just Like Heaven (big minus). Even though I know nothing about Just Like Heaven, I can tell you all you need to know: it's a new, worse version of Ghost. I mean, it's practically a direct rip off. The only differences are that the two people haven't met before one dies, and Reese Witherspoon only wishes she could get Ashton. They have a psychic (portrayed by Napoleon Dynamite, no less). They even have that "I'm a ghost and I can enter your body" bit. I will end this by blandly saying that it looks terrible, and as a person who is old enough to have seen and enjoyed the original, I am offended by this obvious forgery.

Now, on to Red Eye. Don't let the title fool you, this movie isn't about ocular apparatuses. It's a suspense thriller that packs a punch. As a disclaimer, I tend to have a hard time "suspending disbelief" at movies. Despite this, I thought the movie was really good. It's been a long time since I felt my heart pumping during a movie. Although there were a couple of predictable twists, the plot as a whole was pretty novel (something that is hard to come by these days - see prior paragraph). Even though she sits for a good chunk of the movie, Rachel McAdams still manages to be pretty hot. Cillian Murphy admittedly has eyes that draw you in, even if his character is an asshole.

I will let you discover the roller coaster-ride emotinal twists for yourself. It was the first time since I saw the re-release of Start Wars Episode IV that I actually heard an audience cheer as good conquered evil. It was a little surprising and a lot refreshing. I will end this by saying that I think it's definitely worth a look.

And speaking of reviews, whatever happened with the Black Eyed Peas? Yeah, I'm looking at you, the cause of the $3 gas...

3 Comments:

At Tue Aug 16, 08:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger Eric said...

Okay, look:

1. I thought that movie with Jon Heder looked cool, cause of Jon Heder. And I'm not much of a Reese Witherspoon fan, though I live with someone who is. And you liked "Ghost" ? Such a woman you are.

2. Rachel McAdams is way hot (especially in Wedding Crashers). Cillian Murphy is creepily awesome too, at least in Batman Begins.

3. The damn gas is not my fault. I'm trying to put those people out of business, remember?

4. The BEP were ok, but mostly it was loud bass and unintelligible lyrics. Though they do seem to have one song that goes, quote, "Shut it up, just shut up, shut up" which I think is pretty cool. Maybe if I knew more of their songs I would have been able to follow it better, but it's not really my bag, baby. Dave, on the other hand, was quite good, except that I would have rearranged the setlist so all the 10-minute jams weren't right in a row. The highlight was definitely his cover of the Zombie's "Time of the Season" which I'm sure you'd recognize if you heard it. Jamie would, at least.

 
At Wed Aug 17, 04:28:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jen said...

I love Reese Witherspoon.
1. Anyone who has seen Legally Blond and still doesn't think Reese Witherspoon is hysterical has no sense of humor :)
2. Anyone who has seen Election and still thinks she can't act has no taste.
Both, fantastic movies starring Reese Witherspoon. I also happen to be a fan of some of her less critically acclaimed works, such as the awesomely trashy Cruel Intentions and Sweet Home Alabama.

Also, I tried to post the fantastic lip sync project that Adam Brinbaum did of the BEP song Shut Up. It was hysterical. Unfortunately, NU has since removed it from his class's website. Jamie - did you see it? Ross sent it to us a long time ago... Basically it's Adam and two other people making a fake music video and lipsyncing the song. It's truly priceless! Who knew Brinbaum could rap?

 
At Wed Aug 17, 08:56:00 PM PDT, Blogger Andrik said...

Since when did everyone feel the need to defend Reese? I never said anything about her in the post. Just because she's in a shitty movie doesn't mean I have anything against her personally. The Hollywood walk of fame is full of great actors who did really low rate, terrible movies.

Even though she has a devil face, I still think she has a lot to offer in a film. That still doesn't change my opinions about "Just Like Heaven".

Good grief!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a