Thursday, January 19, 2006

DING!

Let's do recruiting 101 at Kellogg:
1. You talk to companies to find out who the hell they are and if you like the people you're talking to.
2. You go to company events to make sure that they like you in an effort to get on a "Closed List".
The Closed List basically means that the company likes you and they are interested in hiring you.
Kellogg's policy is that any company that interviews can only have 50% of their interviews from the closed list.
3. If you don't get on the closed list, there is an auction for the "Open List" (the other 50%).

I applied for the closed list for a certain company that we all know and love. But, alas, I am not impressive enough. We call that a "ding", just because we're all soft-skills-having liberal non-offending saps who don't like the word "rejection". We'll see if I can allocate enough points to get on the open list.


8 Comments:

At Thu Jan 19, 09:19:00 AM PST, Blogger Jamie said...

Ah yes, the closed list. I had several of our campus leads breathing down my neck asking about closed list deadlines.

I wonder who dinged you off our list. Fools! I hope you make it into the open slot.

 
At Thu Jan 19, 10:35:00 AM PST, Blogger Andrik said...

I think it was Adam. He seems a little shifty. I don't have many points left for bidding, so we'll see how things go...
Talked to a guy this morning who got on the closed list, he's very excited.

 
At Thu Jan 19, 03:06:00 PM PST, Blogger Eric said...

Fortune 500!

 
At Fri Jan 20, 05:42:00 AM PST, Blogger Jen said...

Damn. Burn

 
At Fri Jan 20, 07:49:00 AM PST, Blogger Jamie said...

Well, I hope you get on the list through open signup, then. Because if you do, and you make a lot of whiny demands like the last round of canddiates did, you're the only one I can tell to shut up.

For some reason, telling candidates to shut up is frowned upon.

 
At Fri Jan 20, 08:26:00 AM PST, Blogger Andrik said...

What if I wear tight spandex pants to work that show off the tattoo on the small of my back?
Is that frowned upon?

 
At Fri Jan 20, 09:06:00 AM PST, Blogger Jamie said...

You could wear black knee socks, like our mutual friend who came to her interview 45 minutes late and whose name rhymes with "Snare A Learner."

Hell, she got a job offer.

 
At Fri Jan 20, 12:16:00 PM PST, Blogger Andrik said...

I like my companies like I like my women: with low standards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a