Sunday, December 04, 2005

Fun in the Sun

So, on December 30th, from the friendly confines of Casa de E-L, I will be watching Northwestern take on UCLA at the Sun Bowl in Texas. I get the feeling that it's one of those things where NU was good enough to get to go somewhere, but not necessarily somewhere important. Maybe I don't realize the importance of the Sun Bowl.

I have to admit that I kind of wish that I could attend, mostly because I know people who have attended previous NU bowl games and had a great time. Oh well. I know that SF will be completely worth dissing the 5,000 NU fans and 50,000 UCLA fans who will be there.

If you want to read about it, you can check out the article on ESPN. If you don't want to read it, let me summarize: UCLA is going to the Sun Bowl. UCLA, this that and the other... came on strong... barely lost... UCLA coach... seventh ranked offense... Oh yeah, Northwestern will also be at the bowl game, we think.

In what I consider to be a kind of redemptuous development, I found out today that Stephen Colbert is an NU grad. He was a transfer student and graduated in '88. I found this out from the Northwestern magazine that featured NU grads participating in the military. It's probably in your copy, too. Go check, there's a nice picture in there. Go on, go ahead.

2 Comments:

At Mon Dec 05, 01:58:00 PM PST, Blogger Eric said...

That's Casa del Frijol to you, buddy.

I wish I could go, too. According to Laz (who should probably know), it'll be all offense, all the time. But it's kind of a long drive from here, too.

Of course, we *could* go to the Emerald Nuts bowl (or whatever they call it) which is held in beautiful Ma Bell Park. Which, incidentally, was NOT designed for football. So I'd go see it just for that, despite the fact that it's gonna be Utah vs. someone-else-I-don't-care-about.

 
At Mon Dec 05, 02:10:00 PM PST, Blogger Jamie said...

There are a lot of NU students who are going to be sorely, sorely disappointed when they get to El Paso and see what a dirty, dusty, nasty place it is.

It is NOT a party destination, unless your idea of "party" is crossing the river to Ciudad Juarez and getting robbed at gunpoint by a cross-eyed prostitute and her dwarf pimp. Hermosillo it ain't.

I can just hear it now: "what do you mean there's no Kate Spade boutique here?" "This bar doesn't even carry Grey Goose!"

I was pulling for Nashville, since I know someone there I could stay with. I've been to El Paso twice, and I'd like to say I'm never going back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a