Thursday, October 06, 2005

Sleeping Around

I have to say, as much as I love traveling, this whole college roadshow experience has made me glad I don't do this full-time. All the time being away from home and the office starts to add up. The upside to traveling to wretched college towns is, of course, wretched hotels. A few notes from the road:

Holiday Inn Express, Madison, Wis.: The winner of the coveted "Editor's Pick" for most habitable hotel., Holiday Inn Express offers cinnamon-scented shampoo, an ironing board and a scrumptious continental breakfast. Two thumbs up!

Ramada Limited, Champaign, Ill.: When they say "limited" they aren't kidding - this place is a shell of a Ramada, which isn't much of a hotel to begin with. Thin curtains (on my second stay, I actually brought some tape and taped the two curtains together, to block out the daylight), moldy air conditioners and a little note that reminds you if you want clean sheets, please call the front desk.

Edge of Night Motel, Antigo, Wis.: This one takes the cake. In 24 (almost 25) years, I've never actually stayed in a hotel with a Magic Fingers vibrating bed. It's not as spectacular as TV would have you believe - the vibrating is actually pretty slight (of course I tried it out.) Other amenities include a swimming pool with a charming green algae motif, dark brown shag carpeting that feels like yarn, and - I hope you're taking notes, Mr. Zagat - COLOR TV. Which is prominently advertised on the hotel's marquee.

Next up - a third (!) visit to the Ramada Limited Champaign, followed by a stint at the fabulous Comfort Inn Knoxville West. I've heard the Comfort Inn gives you a shower cap. Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

At Fri Oct 07, 10:46:00 AM PDT, Blogger Andrik said...

It sucks to do all that traveling.

Why would you ever go to Champaign three times?

On an unrelated note: I just had two beers in my strategy class. Mmm... drunk buzz during school....

 
At Sat Oct 08, 08:02:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jen said...

Isn't Brunswick a Fortune 500 Company? Can't they put you up somewhere where you don't have to ask for clean sheets? What kind of Fortune 500 Company is that?

 
At Tue Oct 11, 02:30:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jamie said...

Admittedly, I have the option of staying in nicer places (except in Antigo, where the Edge of Night is the only game in town.) However, I tend to pick more utilitarian places, so as not to make myself a target for the fourth-quarter Budget Police.

Besides, when I travel I don't spend much time in the hotel. I could go up a notch or two, but I'd rather not have our Sourcing and Accouting departments come after me for spending too much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a