Sunday, October 09, 2005

Does acapella mean "not capella"?

Last night we went to the annual Best of the Midwest concert. Some things have changed since we were last here concerning this concert. I remember that Asterik hosted it, now it is hosted by Purple Haze. As it turned out, Purple Haze is quite a bit better than I remembered it being. Regardless of being on their home turf, they had several characteristics that set it apart from the other groups:
  1. It was the largest group, numbers wise
  2. It was the largest group, weight wise (deduced from #1)
  3. It was the whitest group (I felt the urge to slice some cheese)
  4. It had the largest number of tall, lanky dudes
  5. It had its very own 5-foot-tall 15 year old (complete with plastic wristwatch)
  6. It had the best vocal range and harmony of any group*
  7. It had the most hot chicks
* This comment is based on untrained ears that do not have the general ability to differentiate between a b flat and a c sharp. Also, I can't sing.

My favorite person in the acapella group is always the vocal percussionist. This is because I think he has the hardest job. I say "he" because I've never seen or heard of a female doing this. He's like the drummer for a rock band. He has to keep the rythm, the tempo, the pace even. And it's not easy to make all those instrument-like noises with just flesh and bone. If I had any singing talent, I would have run away and joined an acapella group as a vocal percussionist as a kid.

What really surprised me last night was the vocal percussionist from the U of M group Amazin' Blue (their songs were as modest as their name). Anyway, the percussionist's cheeks actually had muscle definition. When he clenched to make a sound, you could see his cheek muscles. It was both impressive and creepy at the same time.

Going back to Porple Haze - they went on last, of course. Their second song featured a freshman who seemed to be personal best friends with half the audience (75% of those under 25). The three girls sitting immediately behind us all wanted to mother his baby - simultaneously. So, this guy sings a good song. Then, they introduce the next song and who is the lead? The same freshman? NO, it's the 15 year old! When he stepped up, some people actually chuckled. He was shorter than all the girls. Well, the 15 yr old showed the chucklers. He sang a very impressive rendition of "Desperado" that brought the house down. It was followed by an on-stage kiss from one of the girls in the group (on the cheek). That little guy's stock skyrocketed last night. It's nice to see the pimple-faced kids come out on top once in a while.

I have to say that my favorite song last night was Purple Haze's rendition of Robbie William's "Rock DJ". It had choreography and everything. It was the last song of the night, and it made me leave Cahn in a pretty good mood.

Well worth the $10 for an evening of entertainment.

8 Comments:

At Sun Oct 09, 02:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger Eric said...

I thought that concert was always hosted by Porple Hoze. At least, it was the couple of times I went during undergrad.

I always thought U of I's Xtension Chords were pretty awesome. And it turns out that I work with a guy that was in it around the time we were undergrads. And Amazin' Blue has always been boring.

 
At Sun Oct 09, 08:50:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jen said...

U of I sent No String Attached this year, and they were significantly more boring than Amazin' Blue, if that was possible.

 
At Tue Oct 11, 02:34:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jamie said...

For me the best part about BOTM was all the signs on Sheridan Road that said "Touch my BOTM." Hee hee.

I like singing as much as the next guy, but I always wondered why acapella was such a religion at NU.

And just between us folks, was anyone else relieved when Cory graduated and Asterik started sucking? After that, we didn't have to go to their shows anymore. One can only watch Micah Schwalb squeal out "Sweet Child of Mine" so many times before it gets a little stale.

 
At Wed Oct 12, 09:30:00 AM PDT, Blogger Andrik said...

I wouldn't say that I was "relieved" per say, but your point about the change in Asterik is well taken.

I remember when the whole house was expected to show up at events that one brother was in. I bet it's nothing like that anymore.

I think NU is really into notcapella because music/theatre is so strong here. I remember being asked if I was going to do theatre when I told people in high school that I was coming here. I also got "NU has an engineering school?"

 
At Wed Oct 12, 02:49:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vocal percussionists always creeped me out.

They ALWAYS make the hand motions while they sing, as if they're really drumming, but they're not!

Fascists.

 
At Wed Oct 12, 05:55:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jen said...

Is that really moses? do we have a newcomer?

 
At Thu Oct 13, 06:38:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blame Jamie - he told me about it.

 
At Sun Sep 17, 01:17:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I am glad to see that Andrik (and I assume Jen) is (are) still supporting the a cappella community at NU. I am dismayed to see that Jamie did not have a good time at all the Asterik shows that we worked so hard on, but we never actually forced anybody to attend (at least not at gunpoint).

You will all be happy to hear that Asterik is still going strong and the group has regained its musical quality just in time for our 10th Anniversary. We will be having a reunion/anniversary concert sometime this year so I will make sure to spread the word, excluding Jamie of course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a