Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Another Disa-google-pointment.

So, I signed up for a YouTube account today. I was hoping that I could just use Google Video (especially since Google bought YouTube) and be satisfied.

However, Google video makes it a little harder to do the one thing that I really want with video - post it here. With Google, I have to upload the video, then post it to Blogger (also owned by Google) from the video.google.com website. On the other (better) side, when you see a video on YouTube's site, there are two links right there, right next to the video. One is the actual URL for the video, and the other is a short piece of HTML code that you can use to imbed it into any site (like this one). This little piece of HTML code is infinitely more useful than what Google video provides.

For example, when I embeded the two videos in the Vail post, I had to actually pretend to post those two videos individually from the Google site. Then I had to cut and paste the HTML from those two fake posts into the actual post that I had written. Then I had to go back and delete the two fake videos. Pain In The Ass.

Once I logged into YouTube, it took me about two minutes to find this clip of Leo Laporte reporting on the MS Zune (which I have disliked from the beginning and quickly pinned as destined to commercial failure):


I just cut and paste the whole object tag right from the YouTube site and put in right into the HTML of this post. How easy. By the way, Leo is one of my favorite tech guys because he is extremely knowledgeable and down to earth about what technology needs to do for people to be successful.

3 Comments:

At Thu Dec 21, 11:37:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude - you can do the EXACT same thing with Google video! Check my blog for a recent example.

Click on "E-Mail, Blog, Post to Myspace" link then click on "Embed HTML" and it gives you the same HTML to embed that YouTube does. The other plus is that with Picasa you can upload videos directly to google video! (its under Tools->Experimental)

 
At Thu Dec 21, 11:38:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - and Google Video actually encodes the video properly so that the sound is in sync with the video - where YouTube has the same old problem with Canon mJpeg codec!

 
At Thu Dec 21, 11:53:00 AM PST, Blogger Andrik said...

Hmmm...
I was not aware of this "Embed HTML" option. The extra steps are a little annoying. We'll see how this back and forth ends up.

I'm intrigued with the Picasa possibilities. I noticed your use of the new Album feature of Picasa. It poses and interesting photo-sharing alternative.

I go remember the YouTube vs. Google Video head-to-head you did a few months ago to see which had the better encoding.

Very interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a