Thursday, December 14, 2006

Workin' it once again

So my languid days of lying on the couch at home, traveling the world and collecting unemployment are over. My first day here was nothing like my first day at Brunswick, where I was given my paperwork and then left to rot in my cubicle for the rest of the day. Here they had a whole schedule ready for me, and my every moment up to now has been blocked out. They're hitting me with information pretty fast and furiously, which is kind of nice. It sounds like when I'm busy around here, I'm going to be really, really busy. The volume of candidates, interviews and hiring is pretty much quadruple what I used to handle.

The commute - 10 minutes in the car, 55 minutes on the train and 35 minutes on a bus - is gruesome. Fortunately, I move down to the city in about three weeks, and then the commute will drop to a half an hour, like it was during the old Brunswick days. In the meantime I'm getting a lot of reading done - if you've never read Herman Wouk's "The Winds of War," I highly recommend it.

In happier news, I have a window cubicle here and a pretty good view, all things considered. We're on the 30th floor, and when it's clear I can see the lake. So if you feel like impressing someone, you can say you have a friend with a window office in the John Hancock Center. It'd have to be someone who's very easily impressed, however.

4 Comments:

At Thu Dec 14, 04:54:00 PM PST, Blogger Andrik said...

What about me? I'm pretty easily impressed.

I'm glad to see that you have stopped your slothiness and returned to the life of the productive.

Where is your place in the city? Did you find a great deal? Is the new firm paying to get your stuff moved down there?

 
At Mon Dec 18, 09:26:00 AM PST, Blogger Jamie said...

New place in the city is at Diversey and Clark (technically at 666 W. Oakdale, which doesn't bode well.) It turns out I'll be living on the same block as the esteemed Leah Norris.

And yes, I found a great deal. The place is huge compared to my current apartment, with a view of the city, three blocks from the lake and three blocks from the El, with a bus stop outside the front door, a barber shop and dry cleaners on the ground floor, a bar across the street and a Barnes & Noble around the corner. The only down side - no central air/heat and no in-unit laundry (but I didn't expect to find either of those things.)

I'm pretty excited. Moving day is Saturday, January 6, and it can't come soon enough. I found some cheapo movers on Craigslist, so I don't have to heft furniture and neither do any of you. Hurrah!

 
At Mon Dec 18, 04:25:00 PM PST, Blogger Andrik said...

You're going to hell.

When do we get to visit?

 
At Mon Dec 18, 04:26:00 PM PST, Blogger Andrik said...

The apartment, not hell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a