Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Paging Dr. Kevorkian

I have never had strep throat until this week.

Growing up I knew kids who got it all the time. Some of my good friends were constantly missing school due to strep, but for whatever reason I was never really susceptible to it. Then this week I had a sore throat, which I initially dismissed as some kind of 24-hour summer cold bug. When the soreness didn't go away - and when it got worse - I called the doctor. A quick swab later and I was diagnosed.

If you've never had it, it sucks. It sucks really, really bad. Take the worst sore throat you've ever had and multiply it by a million. Just swallowing is misery, my ears hurt, my tonsils are swollen, the glands in my armpits are swollen, my head hurts, my neck, arms and legs ache (from tensing my muscles each time I swallow.) I had no idea it was this bad.

I've just started on antibiotics and have a week left of them. I really hope they kick in soon. I'm only supposed to take one pill every 12 hours, but I was very tempted to eat half the bottle when I got home today. Instead, I've been using Chloroseptic throat spray, which is magical stuff (basically a really strong anaesthetic). It numbs everything for about ten minutes.

If you've ever had strep, I have a newfound respect for you. Just like I have for all those kids who got it when I was younger.

4 Comments:

At Thu Aug 09, 12:46:00 PM PDT, Blogger Eric said...

Yowch. I used to get that every couple years when I was little. It sucks ass. Luckily I haven't been there since probably middle school.

Hope you feel better soon...

 
At Thu Aug 09, 09:03:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jen said...

Knock on wood, I haven't had it yet. But I did randomly get a 24 hour flu this week, which sucked. but not as bad as strep. do you get out of work for strep?

 
At Fri Aug 10, 12:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jamie said...

Oh yes, you get out of work for strep. I left early on Monday (when I still thought I had a 24-hour bug), worked all day Tuesday, left early on Wednesday, and have been home for the last two days. It's a fairly communicable bug, so I want to keep it out of my office if possible.

Friday update: My throat is still a little sore, but the antibiotics are working and things are nowhere near as bad as they were Wednesday and yesterday. Another two days and I should be back to normal.

 
At Mon Aug 20, 02:54:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you evan for being so understanding an buying jamie flavored water. he is the best doctor ever!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a