Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Uniformed man brings good things

Today, two things came to the house from a uniformed man. First, I just got my new Canon PowerShot SD450. It's been some time coming, since the PowerShot A70 that I bought for our wedding has been on it's last legs for a while. I was really excited the get the new camera and will play with the setting over the coming weeks, including the DAK II event the weekend of March 30th.

The single most noticeable change is that the SD450 takes pictures fast, while the A70 took it's sweet time to decide if it wanted to take your picture at all. One thing about the new camera is that it makes a high-pitched noise when the lens moves in and out. It doesn't do it all the time, and I think that it is the focus-something-mechanism. The A70 does the same thing, but much louder. I can't decide if this is a defect, or just the way it is (motor whine is common in cars). Anyone know a worthwhile thing to do with old digital cameras?

The other thing that a uniformed man brought to me today was the March issue of Men's Health (a little late, if you ask me). I haven't really gotten into it, but as I tore out all of the advertising inserts, my eye was caught by a brief "article". It's titled, "Things that Just Don't Matter". It's a quick, humorous piece about things you shouldn't spend time on. Unfortunately, there is no way to find it on the Men's Health website.

This brings me to my first point: As much online reading as I do, I still wish that magazine and newspaper websites made it easier to navigate and find things online. Why can't they give you a page that has all the articles in the latest issue, one by one, page by page? It would make it much easier for people (like me) who read something in the paper magazine and then want to go online to email the article to people or just get more information.

My second point is that I agree with many of the points, if you can call them that, made by the author (Duane Swierczynski). Although I couldn't find the article online, I did find the author's blog and his mention of the MH article. Among the list of things you shouldn't worry about, my favorites are "Warping your kids", "Slaving to fashion trends" and "Going to work early".

I would add to the list "Winning Trivia Games", "Anything Involving a Celebrity" and "What Someone Else Thinks About You". What other things should be on the list?

2 Comments:

At Tue Mar 21, 04:52:00 PM PST, Blogger Jen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Tue Mar 21, 04:55:00 PM PST, Blogger Jen said...

I add "reading every word of every magazine I get before the next issue arrives" and "emptying my inbox before I leave work for the day." I should add "whether or not people comment to my posts," but I don't think I'm there yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a