Saturday, September 10, 2005

Greet, Meet, Shake, Smile, Repeat

So Andrik is testy because we never have anything to say. I post all the time and nobody ever replies. I guess I'm boring. Or maybe it's because I can't figure out how to link fancy pictures in my posts like all of you can.

Tomorrow I start my MTV-style Campus Invasion Tour. Instead of bringing marginally talented bands and veejays, however, I'm bringing business cards, pressed pants and a laptop. The itinerary:
9/11 - fly to Atlanta
9/12 - Georgia Tech Career Fair
9/12 - fly to Madison (via Chicago; look longingly at apartment down below)
9/13 - University of Wisconsin Career Fair (engineering)
9/14 - University of Wisconsin Career Fair (finance)
9/14 - fly to Des Moines (via Chicago again), drive to Ames
9/15 - Iowa State Career Fair
9/16 - fly back home

And that's just week one. The following week I hit University of Illinois (twice) and Purdue. The week after that, Michigan and Michigan Tech.

My constant companion on this odyssey is Brunswick's lovely career fair display board, which is housed in a giant hard plastic tube with wheels. It looks sort of like golf clubs, if the golf clubs had faulty latches that spring open without warning. I'll be pulling the case through the ticket lobby at O'Hare, and SPROING the latches will open, and thousands of dollars worth of undergraduate recruiting paraphernalia will spew out across the floor.

Since the airlines don't look kindly upon checked luggage that opens without warning, my task for today is to figure out how to secure these latches. I've already tried those plastic zip ties, but they aren't long enough to loop through the entire latch. So this afternoon I'll be lugging the monstrosity to The UPS Store and see what they suggest I do.

By the way, are we going to hear more about Costa Rica or what? So far all we've heard about are sore asses and brown phlegm. I'm hoping there's a little more to the trip than that...

5 Comments:

At Sat Sep 10, 11:03:00 AM PDT, Blogger Andrik said...

My first question is why you would want to go to U of I twice. How many people can you possibly get out of that place?

My second question is a comment, the phlegm is a wonderful part of my first week at Kellogg, not from Costa Rica.

Also, the wonderful thing about zip ties is that you can link them together end to end without limit. Instead of making a circle with one piece, insert the tip of one zip tie into the square end of the next zip tie. You can do this with as many ties as you need, just make sure you tighten them when you are done. Also, make sure to take a lot of extras because you will have to cut them to get them off.

 
At Sat Sep 10, 11:49:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jen said...

Call us when you get back in town so we can hang out.

 
At Sat Sep 10, 11:55:00 AM PDT, Blogger lizski said...

Jamie, you are a true corporate slut. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. If I were looking for a job with Brunswick I would be very excited to chat with you at a career fair.

 
At Sat Sep 10, 07:11:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jamie said...

You just think I'll have to cut them. For you see, I bought the quick release kind, where all you do is push the little tab and the zip tie releases.

This was a "lesson learned" from my last zip-tie experience, when I spent twenty minutes grunting with scissors, trying to cut the damn things off.

And yes, I want to hang out next weekend. For living in the city, we don't see each other much. Sadly, my pool is now closed - but my barbecue is not. Or I can come down there.

 
At Sun Sep 11, 01:10:00 PM PDT, Blogger Andrik said...

I think either way will work for us. But, you do have an AC in your apt, which trumps our ninny box fans.

Next weekend I get my first free day... I think it's the Sunday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

a